Friday, December 11, 2009

Bill Callahan in Greensboro.














One of the musicians I've really gotten into recently is Bill Callahan. His albums are really complex and beautiful, and the songwriting is excellent. I picked up his most recent album Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle just after I got back from Korea, and I listened to it a lot. I'd been hoping to go see him in concert, and that opportunity presented itself in a free show in Greensboro last night at Studio B.

Last week in El Paso I checked his website and found out he was doing a small tour of the southeast. I realized we'd be in North Carolina when he played Greensboro, so we made it happen.

The show was really great. Neal Morgan opened the show. He sings and drums at the same time. The drumming was really tight, and the sounds was unlike anything I'd heard before. Then a band called lights played. The guitars were really heavy and atmospheric, and the drumming was loud and powerful. They were a lot of fun.

Bill Callahan hit the stage a bit after eleven. He played his guitar and banjo, and Neal Morgan backed him up on drums. It was a fantastic show. The songs were intricate, intense, and beautifully crafted, and Neal Morgan's drumming really fleshed out the sound.

We left the venue around one in the morning. I drove the 90-odd miles back to Charlotte. Rhoda kept me awake by turning up CCR really loud. We sang along and got back to my Tante Neet and Uncle Tom's place at 2:30. And then we slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment